The Reading Room
The Reading Room is located next to the Public Telephone Kiosk on the East side of The Street. Legally it is a Village Charity but, as there is no specific need for the building as a Reading Room/Village Hall at present, it is rented out to a small business in order to generate a rent to pay for its upkeep and, if there is spare money available, to contribute towards the costs of the Village Hall.
The Teffont Reading Room was built in memory of those who died in the First World War. Where the First World War casualties were concerned, our village escaped comparatively lightly, only losing six of their sons.
Read more on the history of the Reading Room from a Parish Council perspective.
A War Memorial was erected in the Magna Church grounds after the First World War and the inscription on the East side closest to the road reads:
'IN MEMORY OF THOSE MEN OF TEFFONT MAGNA WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919'
Read more on the War Memorial page